New product announcement – Lightspeed – ZULU 3
We are excited to announce the launch of Zulu 3, the newest in a line of legends. Although over the years we have designed many great headsets, with more innovations certainly to come, the Zulu line — original Zulu, Zulu.2, and now Zulu 3 — have best represented the comfort, durability, performance, and value that is the essence of the Lightspeed brand. Like the other Lightspeed headset models that use the rugged cables with the Kevlar core (PFX and Tango), Zulu 3 only comes in straight cord configurations, simplifying the choice for the customer and the stocking decisions for our dealers.
Zulu 3 is a worthy successor to the Zulus that came before it, retaining the features that made them great while adding new features that increase comfort, durability, and value:
- New contoured ear seals are designed to hug the curve of the jaw, reducing side pressure to get a more natural fit for more comfort and stability
- These ear seals create 30-50% more space for the ear than other ANR headsets — a key feature of long-term user comfort
- A free taller head pad option ensures maximum comfort and performance on smaller head shapes (ordering instructions are in the User Guide)
- Zulu 3 is outfitted with new cables built around a Kevlar core, which are stronger, lighter, and more flexible than standard cables — and have proven themselves on both Zulu PFX® and Tango®
- The more durable cables complement the other premium materials used in the rest of the headset construction, including the magnesium cups, sliders, and the stainless steel headband
- Zulu 3 will be backed by an industry-best 7-year warranty (the industry standard is 5 years)
- Zulu 3 still has the award winning Lightspeed ANR and all of the most popular features such as Bluetooth for phone and music, Auto Shutoff™, and ComPriority™
- It also has an exclusive user adjustable mic gain adjustment to get the audio and side tone just right for all voices.
Early this year Garmin announced the G1000 NXi integrated flight deck, the successor to the ever popular G1000.
Remember, the original processors and memory chips used in the G1000 were state-of-the-art at about the turn of the 21st century. Garmin started shipping G1000s developmental prototypes of the package. Actual design work began long before that first flight. So the G1000 flying today represents the digital state-of-the-art of about 1999. Now think back at the number of cellphone and computer upgrades your company undertook in the last 15 years. The capabilities of your cellphone circa 2002 pale compared to the one you have today – a portable computer capabilities tool. That’s how much difference there is between the technology update within the NXi package versus memory and processing speeds of the original G1000.
Boasting a modernized flight display design with significant performance enhancements, G1000 NXi incorporates innovative capabilities into a state-of-the-art avionics platform. Features such as wireless cockpit connectivity, including wireless database updates using Flight Stream, enhanced situational awareness with Surface Watch runway monitoring, visual approaches, map overlay with the HSI and more are all available with G1000 NXi.
G1000 NXi integrated flight deck also supports the following additional features:
– COMM frequency identification displays the station ID as well as frequency type
– Aircraft maintenance personnel experience faster system software upgrades and streamlined equipment replacement.
– Advanced Doppler weather radar capabilities, including ground clutter suppression and turbulence detection as options
– Display of sectional charts as well as IFR low/high enroute charts on the MFD
– NEXRAD weather radar imagery can be overlaid on the moving map and animated on the MFD (taking into consideration the active flight plan, altitude constraints & winds aloft)
– Optionally overlay European Visual Reporting Points (VRPs) on the moving map. VRPs are standard within the navigation database
– Preview departure and arrival procedures on the MFD prior to loading and activating the procedures
– Three-color terrain shading incorporates green, yellow and red contouring which depicts that the aircarft is 2 000, 1 000 and 100 feet above ground level (AGL) respectively
For new installations, the G1000 NXi integrated flight deck is estimated to provide a weight savings of 250 pounds/4 200 rands or more in King Air aircraft, allowing additional baggage, passenger and/or fuel load flexibility. New G1000 NXi installations also utilize a new, fully integrated and lightweight air data and attitude heading reference system (ADAHRS), streamlining the upgrade process. King Air owners and operators with an existing G1000 integrated flight deck can easily purchase the display upgrade to G1000 NXi with minimal aircraft down time and disruption of the panel as the displays preserve the same footprint and connector so that panel modifications are not required.
The G1000 NXi installations and display upgrades all come with a two-year warranty